Saturday, July 5, 2014

Paul Wesley's Favorite Family Traditions — He Speaks in Polish!

Earlier this month, Paul Wesley traveled to Poland to film a PSA for Welcome.us, a non-profit dedicated to celebrating America’s immigrant tradition. Paul chatted with Huffpost Live about the experience, his Polish heritage, and what traditions he hopes to continue with his own family. Check it out!
“For me, it was really about celebrating where we all come from and I have a very specific story so I thought I would be able to lend my voice,” Paul said of his decision to direct the PSA. Though Paul initially planned to tell a fictitious story, he soon realized that no story would be as compelling as filming the first time his little nephew Henry meets his Polish great-grandparents. Paul, Henry, and Paul’s sister all traveled to Warsaw for the introduction, and it is one of the sweetest things we’ve ever seen.
Paul, who spent every summer in Poland with his grandparents growing up, had this to say about what the experience meant to him:“It means a lot to me because I’m extremely close to my grandparents and they’re getting older and my sister, she has three kids, and everyone’s so busy and it was one of these sort of last-minute trips that, for me, was so special because we never knew if they would ever meet my nephew Henry.”
When asked about what Polish traditions he practices in his everyday life, Paul singled out his Polish language fluency as incredibly important to him, saying: “I think that one of the things that’s important to me is that I maintain Polish as a language that I speak fluently. It’s something that I’m very grateful for that I have. So, when I do communicate with my parents or my grandparents, I try to converse in Polish as much as possible just so I can keep that skill and hopefully pass it on to my children one day.”
It was very cool to see Paul celebrate his family and heritage in this way — and Paul’s entire family is beyond adorable. Any chance we can get them some guest star roles on TVD?

No comments:

Post a Comment